This article describes how you can use this functionality on other fields like for instance your custom fields, how it works and what you should be aware of (performance wise for instance).
SAP IMG -> CRM -> UI Framework -> Technical Role Definition -> Define Parameters
SICF Service ‘CRM_CALLBACK’
- The field must be an input field (handled by the field's GET_P, check http://blog.acorel.nl/2010/08/field-properties-modification-using.html)
- The field must have a value help assigned of type cl_bsp_wd_valuehelp_f4descr (handled by the get_v).
- The search help that is assigned in the get_v must have dialog type 'Display values immediately'
- The search help has to be assigned a single input mapping (iv_input mapping) and a single output mapping (iv_output_mapping).
- The entries retrieved by the system should not be more than 50.
Another welcome addition to the functionality would be if a predefined DDLB (DropDown ListBox) list in the GET_V, combined with field type 'input field' would also result in the SVH functionality during rendering of the page. That would actually be very nice.