What is a Marketing persona?Before we continue, first we need to know what a marketing persona is and what it is used for. There are many ways to formulate it but, for instance, Wikipedia describes it as:
A Marketing persona is a concrete example of an ideal customer representing a certain target audience. This customer has a name, a profile picture and several characteristics that define him/her. It is a person that is interested in your company and/or buying your product. You define multiple personas, but it is recommended to keep it between 3 to 5.
What information is in a marketing persona?
- A name for your persona
- A photo of the persona
- Job Title
- Demographics (Age/Gender/Salary/….)
Next to these basic needs you can also define a set of data that is relevant to your specific customers. There is however no set standard for this as this really depends on the type of business your customers are in.
How do you gather the factual information and create a marketing persona?
The first way to gather information is to get people in your organization together that all connect with customers. Together they can come up with different insights that give a good overview of your customer needs.
Secondly you can interview your customer. You can either do that by conduction actual interviews or invite them to fill in a survey.
As a third way you can use marketing tools like SAP Marketing Cloud that can gather information about your customer and that can combine them into a 360 degree overview. Below we will list some of the options available in SAP Marketing Cloud that may help you in getting the most reliable fact-based data you need to complete and keep your Marketing Personas up to date.
Possibilities with SAP Marketing Cloud for your fact-based Marketing personas
- Build complete, 360-degree customer profiles with first-party transactional and behavioral data from multiple channels – so you never miss an opportunity.
- Tap into hidden trends in customer behavior with propensity models and advanced analytics that predict what they’re going to do next.
- Powerful discovery and visualization tools give deeper insights into behavior and patterns, helping you to better understand your customers’ journeys.
- Gain your customers' trust and rest easy by meeting the necessary requirements for obtaining verifiable consent from your customers when collecting and using their personal data.